Buying Books for the Pharmacy Technician Exam
There are hundreds of pharmacy technician text books available. With so many choices, deciding on the right one to buy may be a little intimidating. With a little research, anyone can find the right pharmacy technician exam study guide.
To fully prepare for taking a pharmacy technician exam you will need books covering at least three topics: pharmacy procedures and practice, pharmacy math, and pharmacology (the study of medications). In addition, you will want to buy or make two sets of flashcards. One set with common brand name medications and their corresponding generic drug name. The other set of flashcards should be sig codes (medical abbreviations used on prescriptions and physician’s orders).
There are many different ways to study, and each person should be aware of what works best for themselves. Physical text books are the most common way to study, but there are also many good CDs, websites, audio tools, and even smart phone applications that can be utilized. Find what works best for you and spend as much time practicing as possible.
Books Available from the PTCB
The PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) offers many books and study materials to help students prepare for the pharmacy technician exam. Many different books are offered on their website, but you won’t need to buy every book offered.
Here are a few of the best text books offered by the PTCB:
· Manual for Pharmacy Technicians, Certification Review, and Workbook – by Bonnie S. Bachenheimer, Barbara Lacher, and Mary McHugh. (2010). This three book set is a very comprehensive study guide for the PTCB exam. The study manual covers a wide range of pharmacy technician topics including HIPPA regulations, prescription procedures, calculations, and more. This set also comes with a workbook so that you can practice your skills, and a practice exam CD to test yourself. ($124.00)
· Pharmacy Certified Technician Calculations Workbook and CD-ROM – by the Michigan Pharmacists Association. (2010). This workbook and CD-ROM are sold separately, but should be used together. The book offers realistic examples of pharmacy math problems. The CD-ROM has the answers to the problems with step-by-step solutions. ($28.95 for the set)
American Pharmacists Association
The American Pharmacists Association (APA) also offers many study resources for aspiring pharmacy technicians on their website. One of the best products that they offer is The Pharmacy Technician’s Pocket Drug Reference, 6th Editionby Joyce A. Generali (2011). This drug guide will be used by the pharmacy technician long after they have passed the exam. It is just the right size to carry in your lab coat, and it makes a very convenient reference. It is well worth the price of only $23.00.
The APA also offers a complete training set for pharmacy technicians. This set is called the APhA Pharmacy Technician Certification Training Series SET. This complete study packet costs $195 and includes:
· Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician, 2nd Editionby L. Michael Posey
· Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician, 2nd Edition by William A. Hopkins
· Pharmacy Technician Certification Quick-Study Guide, 3rd Edition by Susan Moss Marks and William A. Hopkins, Jr.
· The Pharmacy Technician’s Pocket Drug Reference, 6th Edition by Joyce A. Generali
· The Pharmacy Technician Skills-Building Manual by Karen Snipe
· Communication & Management Skills for the Pharmacy Technician by Jody Jacobson Wedret
· The Pharmacy Technician’s Introduction to Pharmacy by L. Michael Posey
Pharmacy Technician eBooks
In today’s digital environment, students no longer need to carry heavy text books. There are many pharmacy technician exam preparation books available in digital format. This format is easy to take with you so that you can study on-the-go. Pharmacy technician exam books are available in eBook format for Kindle, Nook, and most other eBook readers. Not only are eBooks easy to carry, they are also a great way to save money.
Amazon.com offers many pharmacy technician exam books. Some titles available include:
· The Pharmacy Technician: A Comprehensive Approach, Second Edition by Jahangir Moini. Download for $66.93
· Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review, 3rd Edition by Lorraine C. Zentz. Download for $50.75
· Math for the Pharmacy Technician: Concepts and Calculations by Kathryn A. Booth and Lynn Egler. Download for $49.94