In this digital age, one of the fastest expanding pharmacy market trends is that of Mail Order Pharmacies. Mail Order Pharmacies can often provide prescriptions at lower costs due to reduced overhead and serve millions of customers. Read on to learn about the many job possibilities for Pharmacy Technicians in Mail Order Pharmacies.
What is a Mail Order Pharmacy?
A mail order pharmacy is a pharmacy that receives prescriptions either by fax, mail or by telephone. Once the prescription is received, it will be compared to the patient’s medical information to screen for any possible contraindications or potential allergies to the new medication. After this process, the medication will then be dispensed, labeled and then sent out to the patient. New patients will usually be required to fill out patient information sheets indicating all medical conditions, all medications taken and any allergies to medications.
Job Description for a Pharmacy Technician Working in a Mail OrderPharmacy
As a Pharmacy Technician in a Mail Order Pharmacy you will have the following job responsibilities:
- Daily Scanning of patient profiles and prescriptions to make sure all information is complete and accurate
- Filling prescriptions and accurate processing of package and mail shipments daily
- Receiving refill requests
- Opening and bar coding incoming mail
- Pulling hard copies of prescriptions to send back to patients if the pharmacy is unable to fill the prescription
- Ordering and maintaining supplies
- Maintaining proper storage and security conditions for drugs
- Ordering, labeling and counting stock of medications, chemicals and supplies and enter inventory data
- Checking for outdated medicines
- Receiving and storing incoming supplies
- Contacting patients for payment, address and insurance information
- Assuring level of service including overnight, ground and signature required deliveries
- Assuring correct bags and items in correct boxes
- Pre-packing bulk medications
- Preparing totes for store deliveries
- Assuring correct paperwork is in correct packaging and boxes
- Assuring proper packaging of shipments including bubble wrap, ice packs and paper filler
- Communicating with patients by telephone to explain delivery expectations
- Carefully documenting all communications with patients and vendors
- Performing a final Quality Assurance check prior to sealing boxes
- Generating reports for the pharmacy manager
- Speaking on the phone with patients, doctor’s offices and nursing staff
Mail Order Pharmacy Technician Requirements for Employment
Requirements for employment in a Mail Order Pharmacy include:
- Active State Pharmacy Technician licensure
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 1 year of recent pharmacy experience in a retail, hospital or mail order pharmacy
- Ability to work day or night shifts on weekdays and weekends
- Ability to pass a background check and a drug screen
- Must be able to lift to 50 pounds
- Must have FedEx and UPS product experience
- Must have a working knowledge of inventory processes
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
Business Skills and Knowledge Required to Work as a Pharmacy Technician in a Mail Order Pharmacy
1. General Management Skills
General management skills required to work as a Pharmacy Technician in a Mail Order Pharmacy include the ability to demonstrate analytical and problem-solving skills.
2. Quality Improvement Skills
Quality Improvement Skills required to work as a Pharmacy Technician in a Mail Order Pharmacy includes applying techniques to improve the quality of patient care provided, to improve patient safety and to improve the financial health of the organization.
3. Knowledge of Health Care Systems and Organizations
A Pharmacy Technician working in a Mail Order Pharmacy must have a good working knowledge of how the American healthcare system is organized and financed.
4. Communication and Relationship Management
A Pharmacy Technician working in a Mail Order Pharmacy should be able to use verbal, written and presentation skills to communicate the organization’s mission, vision, values and priorities.
Pharmacy Technicians working in a Mail Order Pharmacy must always maintain a professional attitude when dealing with patients, co-workers and physician’s offices.
6. Commitment to Lifetime Learning and Improvement
Pharmacy Technicians working in a Mail Order Pharmacy are expected to maintain all requirements of the PTCB for Pharmacy Technicians continuing education.
Mail Order Pharmacy Technician Employment Benefits
- Health Insurance with Prescription Coverage
- Vision/Dental insurance
- 401(k) and deferred compensation programs
- Cafeteria Plans
- Free Continuing Pharmacy Technician Education
- Low Cost Group Health Benefits
Pharmacy Technicians Average Salaries
Median salaries for Pharmacy Technicians working in Mail Order Pharmacies usually depend on experience and the area of the country where you are working.
On January 2022 the average base pharmacy technician salary was $31,487 with the highest paid Pharmacy Technicians earning over $50,000.
Pharmacy Technicians who work for the federal government earned an average of $42,774 in 2020.
Pharmacy Technicians who work at outpatient centers earn an average $41,350.
Best Paying Cities For Pharmacy Technicians
According to US News and World Report, the best paying cities in the United States for Pharmacy Technicians https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/pharmacy-technician/salary) include:
- San Francisco, CA – $52,390
- San Rafael, CA – $49,450
- Kennewick, WA – $48,690
- Santa Rosa, CA – $48,480
- Oakland, CA – $45,610
Best Paying States for Pharmacy Technicians
The best paying states for Pharmacy Technicians include:
- Washington – $42,170
- California – $39,760
- Alaska – $39,600
- North Dakota – $38,510
- Oregon – $37,990
Working as a Certified Pharmacy Technician in a Mail Order Pharmacy can provide a challenging and well-paying position with great advancement potential. Most positions require a high school diploma, PTCB certification and at least 12 months of experience working in a Mail Order Pharmacy. Salaries usually depend on previous experience and the city and state in which you are working.